Saturday, January 12, 2013

Criminal Attraction

I have a confession to make that has haunted me for years.  I am a shoplifter.  Okay, I was 4 years old and it really hasn't haunted me for years. The devil made me do it.  Well, actually, it was Rocky.

I was at a Ben Franklin dime store with my sisters, my oldest sister being old enough to drive at the time.  At the cash register, they had spinning display racks of kitchen magnets featuring popular characters and phrases of the day.  Since they were beyond the cash register and not with the other items for sale, I assumed they were free, thinking anything beyond the register was fair game.  There was a Rocket J. Squirrel, of Bullwinkle fame, magnet that caught my eye and I plucked it off the display.  I walked out of the store and proudly showed it to my sisters in the parking lot.  I was shocked to learn I had just committed a crime.  In hindsight, they should have made me go back in and give it back, but hey, we were in the parking lot already and teenage embarrassment probably prohibited such a thing.  We proudly displayed my foray into crime on our kitchen refrigerator for years.  It disappeared at some point years ago.

Looking in a box at an estate sale on Friday brought that memory back.  Inside were dozens of vintage kitchen refrigerator magnets.  I picked out a few that caught my eye.  Yes, I paid for them this time.


We all know of the trucker craze of the mid to late '70's.  Did you know there were magnets to go with it?

Looney Tunes

Everyone's favorite psychotherapist and WW I Flying Ace

Casper's-friend-Wendy-the-Witch's Friend Hot Stuff

Never Be a Dirty Bird

 Stock Hillbilly

My mother had this magnet on our refrigerator.  A strong hint to my hippie brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...