Sunday, October 13, 2013

Halloween Monster Fun Find

It's always fun to find something extra in the items I buy at garage and estate sales.  Usually, I find them in in books, entrapped for years in the dark of the pages.  It might be a pressed flower, a four-leaf clover, lost love notes or even hidden tardy slips.  Over the summer I even found two $2 bills tucked inside a CB jargon book.

I was at an estate sale a couple of weeks back and found a few Halloween records.  One was "Sounds to Make You Shiver" by Pickwick Records published in 1974.




I already had 2 copies of this record, but I make it a point to grab any Halloween-themed records I find. That way you can match up the best record with the best sleeve, etc.

When I pulled the sleeve and record out at home, I noticed something just barely sticking out of the sleeve.  Pulling it out, I discovered it was this:


Looking inside the sleeve, I found 3 more:




Around Halloween of 1977, Burger Chef released 6 Monster Fun Record flexi-discs as a premium with their Funmeal.  The records were vocal stories of Burger Chef & Jeff helping the monstrous residents of their world in solving their problems.  To be honest, it was mostly Burger Chef solving the problems; Jeff mainly stood around saying, "Incrediburgible, Burger Chef!".  Featuring a cast with such names as Cackelburger, Crankenburger, Wolfburger, and Fangburger, The Burger Chef family tree would appear to be slightly ingrown.

The records were a set of 6.  I just happened to already have the two that weren't in the sleeve.



I actually had "The Ghost of Grizzly Mountain" as a child.  Burger Chef was one of the few places my family would go for fast food and I have great memories of eating there (you might have guessed given my blog avatar).

Being certain someone out in the ether had already ripped these tracks, I was going to include links to them. I couldn't find a definitive location for a collection of all tracks, so I set out to remedy that.  Below are rips from my personal collection.  Enjoy and have an Incrediburgible Halloween!  

12 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Sounds to Make You Shiver is my favorite Halloween record. And thanks for the Burger Chef records. I don't think I've heard them before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Erick, and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the links are dead could you e-mail me these files i used to have the yellow record ..
    i have fond memories of burger chef from my childhood i wish burger chef could return !
    beefrh2003@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to republish those. I'll email you the mp3s in the meantime.

      Delete
    2. links website is no more.could you e-mail me these files ronniekenuam@yahoo.com. Thank You and love the old TV Guides,

      Delete
    3. Emailed to you, Ronbo. Thanks for the reminder. Looks like I need to move them again.

      Delete
  4. Hello Tom, Just discovered your blog and love it. I grew up in Tulsa and we had Burger Chef restaurants too, and I have very fond memories of eating there as a kid. I'm a big time Halloween fan and collector; mostly of music but decorations also. Would it be possible to get copies of these incredible records? I can trade if there is anything you are seeking. By 1977, when these records came out, I was in college and not aware of them — until today! You can reach me at siys(at)yahoo(dot)com. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Siys, thanks for the comments. I sent you an email.

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much!!! I had at least one of these as a kid... pretty sure it was Ghost of Grizzly Mountain. I've been looking for a place to listen to it again. This made my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and glad you enjoyed, HF.

      Delete
  6. I have four of them, I don't have the Black one

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...