Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Trick or Treat

Whenever I look through stacks of vinyl at garage and estate sales, I’m always on the lookout for Halloween records.   Christmas records abound, but Halloween records are fairly scarce.  At the same sale where I found the Burger Chef Monster Fun records, I also came across one of my holy grails.  Actually, I have to give credit for both of those finds to a friend who was with me at the time, another vinyl collector who well knows my Halloween passion.



When I was a kid, I always watched the Wonderful World of Disney Halloween (or was it Howl-o-ween) specials.  These were always a compilation of Disney Halloween-themed cartoons or scenes of Disney villains from their theatrical releases.  Inevitably, Donald Duck’s “Trick or Treat” cartoon was included.  This album was a way for kids of the pre-VCR generation to make it through to the next season.






Side one of this album is a shortened and narrated version of that cartoon.   While the under credited and overworked June Foray provided the voice of Witch Hazel in the animated short, the voice over of Witch Hazel on the record is performed by voice actress Ginny Tyler who provided voices for Disney, Hanna Barbara, Harvey and other animation companies. Her characters range from Space Ghost’s “Jan” to Davey and Goliath’s Mother to Casper and Wendy.


The second side is story of two “teenagers” stumbling upon a haunted mansion on a dark and stormy night.  The story is melded with sound effects and voice overs from Disneyland’s Haunted Mansion.


The interior paper sleeve is intended to be cut into masks, one of Witch Hazel and the other of a Jack-O-Lantern.  Fortunately, the previous owner of this album didn't do that.  But now you can!  Download and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...